DIETARY TREATMENT AND BLOOD DIAMINOOXIDASE (DAO) VALUES IN CYCLIC VOMITING SYNDROME (CVS) INTRODUCTION.
Tormo Carnicé R, Cárdenas Lagranja G, Segurola Gurrutxaga H.
Gastroenterology and Nutrition Unit Via Augusta. Barcelona. Spain.
ESPEN Congress on Clinical Nutrition & Metabolism, Leipzig (Germany), 31 August – 3 September 2013.
Certain authors consider CVS as a variant of the headache/migraine, due to a disorder of the brain gut axis. In DAO enzyme deficiency, histamine is not removed and accumulates, causing various disorders, being the most common and disabling migraine headaches. The consumption of certain histamine rich foods (proteins and fats) may be associated with these symptoms.
Determine values in blood of the DAO enzyme in
CVS patients. Assess its evolution after prescription
of a low fat and protein diet.
MATERIAL AND METHODS
Interventional prospective descriptive study in CVS patients. We determined the DAO value and dietary interview was realyzed. All of them recieved fractional and low fat and protein diet ( fat <30% TC and protein <12%TC) and dietary counseiling, as well as specific pharmacological treatment where necessary. Patients with low and intermediate DAO values, were supplemented with (DAOSIN®/MIGRASIN®: 1-3 capsules/day). Low DAO values<40 HDU/ml; Intermediate DAO values 40-80 HDU/ml; normal DAO values >80 HDU/ml.
- 11 patients presented vomiting and migraines .
- 8 of them, were diagnosed CVS.
- Mean of age: 28,3±6; 6 women.
- DAO values:
- we found intermediate/low activity in 100% of vomiting and migranies patients.
- In 3 patients not diagnosed of CVS presented intermediate activity values.
- After the nutritional support with low fat, a fractional diet and DAO supplementation, we found a drastic reduction of the crisis: reduction of 100% in patients with vomiting and migraines, and crisis reduction of 70% CVS patients. We observed correct adherence to dietary advice provided in all patients.
In CVS patients low fat and protein diet must be recommended. DAO supplementation may improve their