Association between two polymorphisms of histamine-metabolising enzymes and the severity of allergic rhinitis in a group of Mexican children.
- Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Juárez del Estado de Durango, Gómez Palacio, Durango, Mexico; Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Autonóma de Coahuila, Mexico.
- Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Autonóma de Coahuila, Mexico.
- Instituto Nacional de Pediatría, Mexico.
- Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Autonóma de Coahuila, Mexico; Secretaría de Salud, Torreón, Coahuila, Mexico.
- Secretaría de Educación Pública. Durango, Mexico.
- Secretaría de Salud, Torreón, Coahuila, Mexico.
- Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Juárez del Estado de Durango, Gómez Palacio, Durango, Mexico. Electronic address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
It has been suggested that polymorphisms of histamine metabolising enzymes can be a risk factor for developing histamine-involving diseases. The aim of the present study is to research the possible association between two functional single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs): C314T in the Histamine-N-Methyl Transferase gene and C2029G in the Diamine Oxidase gene, with the severity of allergic rhinitis and the number of allergic diseases, in a group of allergic Mexican children.
We studied 154 unrelated allergic children. SNPs were analysed by RT-PCR. The total serum IgE was measured by chemiluminescence and the serum histamine by ELISA. We used logistic regression analysis to determine OR.
Patients carrying the mutant allele for any SNP had more risk to develop higher rhinitis severity or a bigger number of allergic diseases. Haplotype analysis revealed that this effect is synergistic. In patients carrying one or two mutant alleles, serum histamine levels were higher than those of patients carrying only wild alleles. Serum IgE levels were not associated with the presence of mutant alleles.
The presence of these SNPs in patients with allergic rhinitis can lead to higher serum histamine, therefore to a higher risk of developing more severe symptoms or more associated allergic diseases, even if the serum IgE remains low.
Copyright © 2016 SEICAP. Published by Elsevier España, S.L.U. All rights reserved.
Allergic rhinitis; Diamine oxidase; Histamine; Histamine-N-methyl transferase; Polymorphisms
Associations Between Migraine, Celiac Disease, Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity and Activity of Diamine Oxidase
Download pdf K Griauzdaitė1, K Maselis2, A Žvirblienė1, A Vaitkus1, D Jančiauskas1, I Banaitytė-Baleišienė1, L Kupčinskas1, D Rastenytė1 Medical Hypotheses...